Monday, February 6, 2012

The Crazy Idea

I decided to try the Atkins diet. I know, I think I'm completely crazy too, specially since I am someone who LOVES carbs! I have read a lot about this diet and have heard that its an easy and quick way to lose about 15-20lbs, but it is hard to keep the weight off. Once you go off the Atkins diet, you put on all that weight, and then some.
For those who don't know, the Atkins diet promotes elimination or severely restricting all carbs from your diet. It has shown to reduce a lot of weight but there are some side effects: being terribly moody, having no energy.
Since most people have a problem keeping the weight off, this is my proposed experiment for as long as I can tolerate no carbs. I want to lose the weight and in about 2 weeks, introduce high-fiber and whole grains into my diet slowly, so see if it will help me to maintain my weight without me wanting to kill someone (without the carbs). I will record my meals and any foods that I have consumed and also talk about how hard it is to keep up with the diet.
So here is the breakdown of the diet:

Phase 1: Allowed 20 grams of carbs per day. Just a point of reference, 1 slice of bread=15 carbs. This is going to be hard! Eat protein and healthy vegetables. Avoid fruits and sugars and of course, breads, pastas, rice.

Phase 2: Once you have lost the initial 20lbs, move on to phase 2, which is the ongoing-weight loss phase. Net carb is increased to 25-45 grams/day. Add berries and yogurt to your meals.

Phase 3: The Pre-maintenance phase. 50-70 grams/day carbs (Phew!) while still losing weight. Add fruits, legumes and some breads/pastas to your meal while keeping the carb count in check.

Phase 4:End of the diet!!! 75+ net carbs daily. This is where people usually have problems and end up eating too many carbs and gaining all that weight again.

Hope this works!

No comments:

Post a Comment